Choosing the right divorce attorney is difficult. Thousands of lawyers will claim they can help you successfully dissolve your marriage, but how do you know which one is the right fit? In this blog, we will discuss 5 things you should look at before hiring a divorce lawyer.
When searching for a divorce lawyer in Grand Rapids, look no further than Haskell Law, PC. We can be reached at (616) 920-6664.
- Credibility: The divorce lawyer you choose should be credible in the eyes of the law, meaning the lawyer should be in good standing with the State Bar Associations. Make sure to do your research on an attorney’s disciplinary record, and verify that he/she is in good standing with the state and federal governments. This search can be accomplished free of charge on most state bar websites.
- Focus: Divorce lawyers represent a very specific clientele, and much of their work involves negotiating prior to entering a courtroom. An attorney who has spent the majority of his/her career practicing a different area of law – such as employment or corporate law – may not have the same insight as one who has been devoted to divorce for many years.
- Experience: You shouldn’t have to worry about whether or not your lawyer is experienced enough to handle your divorce. As such, it’s important to choose wisely. For example, an attorney who just graduated from law school may not exercise the same level of judgement or strategic planning as one backed by decades of experience. Make sure the lawyer you choose has years of practice and successful case results.
- Reviews: Any experienced divorce attorney should have an abundance of reviews – hopefully good ones. Read through the lawyer’s reviews and testimonials. This is an easy way to verify an attorney’s consistency and quality, and it can help put your mind at ease about the decision you ultimately make. Who knows – you might find one detail from a past client that makes the lawyer a perfect fit for your case.
- Personality: No, we don’t mean whether or not the attorney is a bubbly person. The legal personality of your divorce attorney needs to match your personality and your case. You don’t want an attorney who treats you like every other divorce client. Rather, you want a professional who will cater to your specific goals and work with you to strategize the best approach for your case. You can get a decent idea of their legal personality through their website, reviews and testimonials.
Contact Our Grand Rapids Divorce Attorney
At Haskell Law, PC, we have over a decade of proven results. Whether your concern lies with child custody, spousal support, or you find yourself in a high net worth divorce, we have the experience and dedication you need to successfully handle your case.
Contact Haskell Law, PC today at (616) 920-6664 to discuss the details of your upcoming divorce.